- Eight 6 oz. Wild Salmon Dinner Fillets
- 1 oz lite soy sauce
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 5 ounces mirin
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 3 Tbs miso paste
- 8 grams dried shaved bonito flakes
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3 tsp fresh rubbed ginger pulp
- 1½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 Tbs toasted (brown) sesame oil
- ½ tsp ground santaka chilies (or cayenne)
Miso paste, mirin, dried bonito, sesame oil and santaka chilies can be found at a Japanese grocery store.
- Put all marinade ingredients in a blender and blend well. Place salmon in a sealable container, cover with marinade and store in the refrigerator for 4 hours, turning salmon once every hour.
- Place salmon in a grilling basket and grill for 90 seconds per side over a blazing hickory wood fire so that skin will be crispy and outside slightly charred. Baste with leftover marinade immediately after each turning.
- Then bake at 190º F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the center of the salmon is done medium (you can cut a slice with a knife to test).
- Cut scallions into 3 inch pieces and then mince scallions lengthwise into fine shreds. Sprinkle sparingly over the salmon steaks and serve immediately.